Scimar is a Manitoba‑based biotech on a mission to change how the world prevents, detects, and treats type 2 diabetes.
In 1996, Dr. W. Wayne Lautt discovered a previously unidentified hormone called hepatalin. This hormone — known in academic literature as “hepatic insulin-sensitizing substance” — is the missing link in medicine’s understanding of type 2 diabetes.
Like insulin, hepatalin is responsible for reducing elevated blood sugar levels. Dr. Lautt’s discovery shows there’s more to the diabetes story than once thought. It unveils that the liver plays an important role in type 2 diabetes, metabolic health, and nutrient partitioning — and that insulin isn’t working alone.
In 2009, Scimar was founded to take Dr. Lautt’s science to market. Through the lens of hepatalin, Scimar has now conceived four therapies designed to prevent, diagnose, or treat type 2 diabetes.
The company has also established the Wellness Transformation Network, a community outreach initiative, which brings together wellness-focused non-profit organizations, Indigenous communities, and business partners to tackle type 2 diabetes holistically.
Scimar also produces a popular Webby-nominated podcast called Inside the Breakthrough. Hosted by Dan Riskin, it shares surprising and unusual stories from science history, and compares them to the modern work being done by Scimar.
A world where type 2 diabetes — and the conditions that lead to it — can be prevented and reversed through transformative science and by engaging individuals in their own wellness.
- To change the current paradigm of type 2 diabetes prevention and treatment by introducing hepatalin to the medical community and to the community at large.
- To engage communities and individuals to share anonymous health and wellness information.
- To bring together leading scientists, socially conscious investors, and passionate health-focused organizations in pursuit of a world free of type 2 diabetes.
- To act responsibly in pursuit of business success and scientific breakthroughs.
- Integrity – We temper our excitement about the enormity of our breakthroughs with sharp attention to detail and adherence to best practice in every aspect of our business.
- Innovation – Inspired by the original efforts of Dr. Wayne Lautt, we believe in opening our eyes to new discoveries, opening our minds to new ideas, and building a team to seize opportunities.
- Collaboration – Success requires communities of like-minded people, businesses, and organizations working together over time in common cause. Collaboration is essential to our business.
- Respect – We respect each other, our partners, and the individuals whose lives we touch. Respect is central to how we work together.
- Wellness – We promote community, individual, and environmental well-being wherever we operate.